Verizon
Home Legends Silverware
 
RBC Financial group Silverware
Trophy Tours
NHL Trophies
Conn Smythe Trophy
RBC Local Hockey Leaders
NHL Trophies Non-NHL Trophies Historic Trophies  
Conn Smythe Trophy
History

Conn Smythe’s name was synonymous with hockey in Toronto for five decades. Having purchased the Toronto St. Pats in 1927, Smythe changed their name to the Toronto Maple Leafs, and altered their sweaters to the blue and white we know today. A powerful leader, Smythe had been coach, general manager and owner of the Toronto Maple Leafs before he was recognized by the Hockey Hall of Fame with his induction as a builder in 1958. It was around this time that Conn Smythe sold controlling interest in Maple Leaf Gardens to his son Stafford, Harold Ballard and John Bassett. In 1964, Maple Leaf Gardens donated a trophy for presentation to the most valuable player in each season’s playoff competition.


The Conn Smythe Trophy was fashioned to look like Smythe’s beloved Maple Leaf Gardens, and was first awarded following the 1964-65 playoffs, with the inaugural presentation going to Montreal Canadiens’ captain Jean Beliveau. Voting is conducted by the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association.

Dave Keon won the Conn Smythe with the Leafs in 1967
Toronto's Dave Keon following the organization's last championship(1966-67 season)
NHL.com
 
Visit Hockey Hall of Fame NaviSkater at www.hhof.com